Friday, October 26, 2012

LexiCon's Spotlight Author, Jeanette Vaughan



I want to thank you, Jeanette, for taking 
the time to talk with me today.


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I have dabbled at writing and published in the healthcare world for over 25 years.  My first piece was a newspaper article about death with dignity.   It took until I was age 50 to finally give myself permission to write what I love, stories about strong, independent women who changed their corner of the world.   I am intrigued by aviation, the military life, and the deep South.   I live out on a sheep farm in northeast of Dallas.   

What is your favorite quality about yourself?
I am a dynamic, tenacious, go-getter.  Like many of the women I write about, I just won’t accept “NO” if I feel strongly about a project or an issue.  I will find a way to make it happen.   That is unsettling for many people, but it is what makes me tick.

What made you want to be a writer?
I love telling stories.   When I write a story, it unfolds in my head like a movie.   The words and sights, sounds and actions just flow out onto the page.   The blank page is my canvas to share with the world. 
How long have you been writing?  Since I was twenty one.   First for newspapers, then trade publications.  I was elated at getting my first $25 check for column I wrote in RN magazine.  

Why did you choose to write this particular book?
The minute I heard this story from the lead character, for it is based on true events, I knew I had to write FLYING SOLO.   I just couldn’t imagine the moxy it took for my character to break free of a bad marriage with domestic violence, learn to fly a plane, support herself and then break free!   All in the 1960s.  Women just didn’t take those kind of chances.  When she stole the plane, I knew this had to be a book.  The other theme in the book is that sometimes in life, the choices we make have difficult consequences.  Nora, the lead learns that too.  Plus, the setting, New Orleans, Mardi Gras, aviation and a gorgeous Navy pilot instructor.   My favorite things.  How could I not write about it?   I was elated when the lead gave me the permission to tell it.   She kept parts of it hidden for years.   Many people think it should be a movie.   I do too.

How did you come up with the title?
When my sister heard about the story, she suggested the title.   I immediately agreed.   It really is all about learning to take care of yourself and not just settling.    It’s about a strong women who finally got the courage to do what was best for her and her children.  

What do you do when you are not writing?
I love people and love to talk, so I teach in my original profession nursing.   I manage and teach at the high fidelity simulation lab.   Which means, I get to play in make believe all day!  Sweet!

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Due to the high demand, from the thousands that have read FLYING SOLO, I am fast at work on the sequel.   Everyone wanted to know what happened next.   The book ends with a bit of a cliff hanger.   The sequel takes the characters to the Vietnam War.   Her pilot takes flight in an A-4 Skyhawk off  the USS Coral Sea.   Nora goes over as a USO singer, because they won’t let women fly in combat.    SOLO VIETNAM should be out in Spring of 2013.    I am writing away. 

How and where can we purchase your book?
The best place to purchase a personalized, signed copy is:   
 
It will be a keepsake when a movie is made.   However, it is also available in print and ebook at Amazon   as well as Barnes and Noble

No comments: