Thursday, October 11, 2012

LexiCon's Spotlight Author, Karen R. Kilby




Thank you, Karen, for spending a little time
with me today. 




Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a certified personality trainer with CLASServices, Inc. and a speaker, speaker/trainer for Stonecroft Ministries. I have had over thirty stories published in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and other faith based publications and was recognized as FamilyTime’s 2010 Woman of Achievement for the Arts. My first book, Becoming a Woman of Purpose – A Thirty-One Day Devotional is published by Tate Publishing.  I live in Kingwood, Texas with my husband, David.

When did you begin writing?

David took an early retirement in 2001. We had earlier purchased a home in Kingwood and invited our son and his new bride, Erin, to share it with us anticipating a move there in the near future. Erin was a high school English teacher and she encouraged me to share some of our life experiences.  She had written for publication and said, “Karen, you can do this”!  I was just thrilled to see my first stories accepted and in print.

What inspires you to write and why?

Life in all its majesty and beauty is a perfect pallet for any aspiring author.  My life experience stories are up close and personal as to how God has shown his love and concern for my life and the lives of others around me.  Whether it’s a big event or small seemingly insignificant happening, God cares and I’ve been blessed at being able to tell the story. 

What do you do when you are not writing?

As a Personality Trainer, I present Wired That Way workshops to help people and businesses better understand the four personality traits. I studied the personality temperaments under author’s Florence & Marita Littauer who’s forty plus years of study and writing on the personalities are inarguably the Myers-Briggs for a new generation. I very much enjoy my continued service with Stonecroft Ministries as a speaker and speaker/trainer and as an Elder and Stephen’s Minister in my church. 

Why did you choose to write this particular book?

It began as a desire to leave a legacy for our children and grand children. As I shared these life experiences verbally with my friends they encouraged me to write them down.  My daughter-in-law, Erin, then guided me to submit some of my stories for publication and each acceptance was very gratifying. Then my good friend, Carol, My Butterfly Friend as depicted in my book, urged me to bring these stories together as an encouragement to others.

How did you come up with the title?

Pastor Rick Warren had published his book, Purpose Driven Life, and it resonated with me in a very special way. As I reflected upon my stories it became clear that God had allowed all these various events to take place in my life for a purpose and I just felt compelled to set them down as personal devotions to inspire others. Becoming a Woman of Purpose – A Thirty-One Day Devotional was the result.

Is there a message for your book that you want readers to grasp?

Clearly, God cares! He cares about every detail of our lives. His love for us covers us with grace and can provide that peace which passed all understanding if we just accept it.


How and where can we purchase your book?

My web site: www.karenkilby.tateauthor.com provides the book directly from my publisher, Tate Publications. Amazon.com is another active seller of the book and offers some very nice recommendations. Barnes & Noble and other on-line stores also are good sources.  I am available for personal book signings through out the country and even enjoyed the opportunity to share my book and Wired That Way workshop in Costa Rica this year.



Karen, thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to speak with me.  

No comments: