Friday, November 30, 2012

Meet LexiCon's Spotlight Author of the week, Mike Saxton



      First off, I want to thank you, Mike.  It’s great that you 
     took time from your busy schedule to talk to me.

It’s me who should thank you! I certainly appreciate the interest!


Can you tell my readers a little bit about yourself?

Sure thing. I’m 35 years young and getting younger. I moved to Florida last December, the day after Christmas actually. I’m married and I have a son, who is the light of my life. I have two cats, Padme and Obi-Wan and they terrorize the house day and night. I’m currently working on a PhD in Organization and Management, which is probably the most insane thing I’ve ever attempted.

When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing in 2010. When I was in High School and College, I had 4 years’ worth of lucid dreams about a post-apocalyptic world. These dreams served as the inspiration for the 7 Scorpions Trilogy. It took 11 years after the dreams ended to fill in gaps and get up the nerve to actually start writing.


Do you listen to music or do you like silence when you’re writing?

I actually go back and forth. Sometimes, I have music playing (especially when writing fight scenes), other times, I need quiet (and having an 8 year old minimizes the amount of quiet time there is).


What made you choose to write Science Fiction?

Science Fiction is my favorite genre for both movies and books. It also seemed to be the one to fit my dreams best.


How did you come up with your title?

As lame as it sounds, “7 Scorpions” came to me when I was about half awake one day my senior year of High School (and there were many of those days). When I decided it would be a trilogy, I christened them Rebellion, Revolution, and Retribution.


Are you working on another book?

Currently working on 7 Scorpions: Retribution, the last of the trilogy.


What do you do when you are not writing?

Ask myself why I decided to pursue a PhD and quit drinking at the same time. Other than that, I spend time with the family, friends, etc. I’m hoping to save up enough to buy a new Harley, because I miss my old one (sold it before moving from CT).


Where do you see yourself in five years?

I should probably start thinking that far ahead, but I’ve never been good at 5 year projections for myself. It always ends up being vastly different (and usually better) than I thought. I at least hope I’ll have finished my dissertation by then. 

How and where can we purchase your book?


The first two books of the trilogy are available in print and eBook on Amazon.
   

No comments: