Thursday, September 27, 2012

LexiCon's Spotlight Author, T. C. Miller



First off, I want to thank you, T.C. 
It’s great that you took time from your busy schedule to talk to me.


Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
     I’ll try to be brief, but I’ve had a pretty busy life. I spent twenty-four years in the Air Force as a personnel superintendent. I’ve studied Hakkoryu Jujitsu since the seventies, and operated my own dojo, (school), for twenty-five years. I was a manufacturer’s field representative for fifteen years after I retired from the Air Force. My wife, Jake, and I travelled the country demonstrating woodworking equipment, and later, telescoping flagpoles at home and garden shows, woodworking shows, fairs, and trade shows. I’ve also been a free-lance writer since the seventies, doing articles and advertising agency copy.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
     It may sound like a cliché, but I think I was born as a writer. My first published piece was a poem that appeared in the “Toledo Blade” newspaper when I was about eleven or twelve. Much of my early work was lost in an accident in the seventies, but I still have copies of some. (Some of which was amateur, at best).

What inspires you to write and why?
    I wish I had a simple answer, but I don’t. Ideas come to me, and I feel compelled to explore where they might take me, the reader, and the character. Of course, selling my work also helps!

Why did you choose the genre you write in?
     I really haven’t chosen a specific genre. “BlackJack Bomber” has been called a military, action, suspense, mystery, spy, young adult, and adventure novel. I have also written science fiction, time-travel, and am currently outlining a philosophical time travel-piece that involves Native Americans and mountain climbers. I want to explore zombie work, but Joe McKinney does such a great job, I would have trouble following his act.

Why did you choose to write this particular book?
     The idea started out as a horror/mystery piece with the working title “Northern California Story”, back in the early eighties. I couldn’t find the right hooks for it. Later, I was stationed at Mather Air Force Base in Rancho Cordova, Ca., where I happened to meet a great military novelist, Dale Brown. He encouraged me to write, and, consequently, “BlackJack Bomber” began to take shape. I had to wait until four back surgeries took me out of the workplace to find time to finish it.

Have you started another book yet?
     Many. The sequel to “BlackJack Bomber” is “BlackStar Bay”. It continues the exploits of the “BlackStar Ops Group, and should be available mid-spring of 2013.

What do you do when you are not writing?
     Research, and also promote my work. As you know, book signings and promotions occupy an inordinate amount of any writer’s time. I spend time promoting other writers and their work, like Ken Farmer and Buck Stienke. I enjoy reading their military fiction, but am currently engrossed in their historical fiction piece, “The Nations”. It’s set here in Oklahoma, very near where I live. I also have three grandchildren, and a loving family who keep me busy.

How and where can we purchase your book?  
     It’s currently on Amazon.com, in paperback, and e-book, and at Barnes&Noble.com in paperback. It will be out before long in other venues. It can also be ordered at any book store. 

 Visit T.C.:





No comments: