Thursday, September 20, 2012

LexiCon's Spotlight Author, Dr. David Bedford



 First off, I want to thank you, David, 
for taking the time to talk with me today.


Can you tell my readers a little bit about yourself?
I was born in Fort Worth, Texas, where I live and work, but I grew up in Argentina, where I lived from age 3 until coming to the US for college. I had the privilege of living in two world-class cities, Rosario and Buenos Aires, and down in Comodoro Rivadavia, in the Patagonia, right on the frigid Atlantic Ocean. I love music. I play trumpet and I sing tenor in my church choir. I do occasional sketches and paintings and I’m an avid photographer. History fascinates me and I love to learn about life all the way back to the earliest times.

What is your favorite quality about yourself?
I’m highly affectionate and I love to learn.
What made you want to be a writer?
It’s a list. Are you ready?: My mum loved 19th-century English literature and read a lot of it to me when I was little; I have always loved a good story; writing always got me my good grades at school and I always enjoyed it; I consume reams of good literature as a reader; I discovered I have a lot I would like to say to whoever may be interested and fiction is the most effective and palatable way to say it; I dream stories and I feel compelled to put them down; Angela came to me one day and I cannot but tell her story.

How long have you been writing?
I have been writing since the summer of 1997 when, on a walk through my campus, I saw the sun glinting of the water jet of a fountain, and the Muse (or as Borges would say, the spirit) spoke.

Why did you choose to write this particular book?
I had been casting around for a book project in English (I first wrote short stories in Spanish) when, during the lunch break of a Saturday workshop on getting published, the three Angela books came to me at once, with main characters, locale, and story/theme arc. Once I started writing, the characters compelled me to continue.

How did you come up with the title?
The title comes from the main character, Angela Fournier, from the situation at the start of the story (she moves with her mom and sisters to the Texas coast from San Antonio because her parents divorced), and from the fact that there will be two more books in the series.

What do you do when you are not writing?
I teach Spanish at TCU. That’s my real job and it supports my writing habit. I do a lot of work with students outside of class (freshman camps, Habitat for Humanity spring break, etc.) and I am active in church. I read a lot. All writers are readers.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I have already written the second book of the three, Angela 2: The Guardian of the Bay and I am looking for a literary agent to help me get a traditional publisher so my books will have more presence. The third book (Silver Path of the Moon) is planned out and my idea is to start on it when Angela 2 gets published. After that I have several book projects in mind, including a love story in a dystopian future. I am also writing more stories in Spanish. I would love to get a bilingual version of them published.

 How and where can we purchase your book?
The easiest way and best for me is to buy it from www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/Angela1.html . You can also get it from amazon.com and from the Barnes and Noble web site and it is also available as an e-book from all the providers. If you prefer the brick-and-mortar experience, you can have any bookstore order it for you.


No comments: