Friday, April 22, 2011

Out of this world


Today's guest blogger is Patricia Lane.

Thank you Patricia for taking the time to tell us how you conceived
Mitera.


I have been asked many times by many people who have seen me scribbling away in a notebook or who know I am a writer or have actually read my novella, Asagai, where do you come up with this stuff? Sometimes dreams. Sometimes just sitting around being bored. And sometimes a seed gets planted in High School Senior English Class.

Yes, the world of Mitera came about from an English assignment.

Of course, back then it wasn’t called Mitera. Asagai was at first just a short story to get the warrior woman beating me in the head out of there. Inspired by a poem I wrote for the above mentioned assignment. The class had been reading Beowulf. And at one point we were told to write a ballad about anything. It had to have a certain rhyming technique and a chorus. A Warrior Expected was the outcome. But the woman in the poem did not want to be stuck in that poem and fought her way onto another sheet of paper.

She was given the name of Erane and placed in a fantasy world. As both she and the story progressed, I gave her two best friends, a lover and eventually a title. When I finished Asagai, it went on my computer where it stayed for a few years. After a few other short stories I went back to Asagai and the world of Mitera.

As I went about doing edits and tweaking here and there, Mitera began to feel like I’d lived there myself. Histories, countries and peoples began to invade my mental space and Erane and her friends and enemies spilled over into more stories. More adventures. Let’s just say I don’t want to leave this world. Mitera is my child so to speak. Close to my heart.

And just to think, a teacher first got the ball rolling and the seed planted













Visit Patricia 

No comments: