Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Big Reveal

Today I have the privilege of having Jaquelyn Frank as my guest speaker. As an added feature I also get to reveal  her book cover for ADAM. She is having the big reveal of the new cover for Nightwalker book number six in LA at the RT Convention, but I get to do it at the same time.    

Thank you Jaquelyn for taking the time out of your busy schedule, especially with the trip to LA, to guest blog for me.             



I am often asked how I come up with my characters, their names, the worlds I create, the societies and cultures. Honestly, the answer often comes down to pulling it out of my ass. No, seriously. Names especially. I come up to the spot where I have to type in the name and I try and smoosh vowels and consonants together in effective ways, or I go to a baby name website and see what sounds good. The initial idea for a story invariably comes from drugs. No, seriously! I take a great deal of bipolar medications at night and they have a way of causing these really weird dreams and bam! There it is. An idea. The trick is how to spin it off and flesh it out from there. That's where the hard part comes in. But I have a huge background in this, from back in the days where I was a Dungeon Master, a DM, for my Dungeons & Dragons group. It was tricky being the only girl leading a bunch of guys on an adventure. That's where I think I learned to think like a man, to satisfy the need for action and violence. It's also where you get a lot of practice building unique cultures and creative societies with all kinds of rules your players need to follow. So, with a mesh of drugs, the internet, a D & D background, the talent to satisfy testosterone AND somehow making it romantic, sweet and erotic all at once, I'm going to have to say I'm not so much an author as I am a juggler and a people pleaser. I'm good at making people happy, satisfying their needs, keeping all of my balls in the air at once and somehow managing not to drop them. I imagine sometimes that when I drop one is when I end up getting a sucky review. And I always feel bad about that. I hate the idea of ever letting a reader down by dropping the ball. It doesn't matter if it's one critical review in the face of a hundred fabulous reviews. I still feel bad for letting that one person down. So I try harder. And harder.

It's all about pleasing my reader. Keeping them from getting bored. Using all of those happy accidents listed above and turning them into my talents. It seems I'm doing something right... ;)


Hugs and Kitties,
Jacquelyn Frank


DRUM ROLL PLEASE

Yummy!




Tell Jacquelyn what you think. 
Visit her on
 















Coming July 26th



No comments: